Do you sometimes feel your knees and elbows are darker than other parts of your body? Well, yes they are. This is so because the collection of dead cells is more in those areas due to friction and it does not get properly cleaned and taken care of. These areas should be exfoliated daily by cleaning and rubbing. Following are 11 remedies which will help you in doing so: –
- Vinegar and Yoghurt
The combination of vinegar and yogurt helps in reducing the dark colour of skin by cleansing and moisturizing the skin.
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and yogurt. Apply the mixture to the affected area and leave it until it dries up.
- When the mixture dries up, rub that area gently for two minutes in a circular motion and then wash it.
- Bleaching Fruits
Lemons, tomatoes, and grapes are few fruits which help in getting rid of dark skin as they have bleaching properties. (Only if used regularly)
- Apply the juice of any of the fruits that have bleaching properties on your skin.
- If you want, you can apply the juices of different fruits each day.
- Olive and other Natural Oils
Natural oils like coconut oil and olive oil should be used on a daily basis as they help in keeping the body moisturized, and they lighten the knees and elbows as well.
- Apply oil on a daily basis after every shower.
- Leave it on and don’t wash it off.
- Use daily for lighter skin.
- Sugar and Olive Oil
Sugar granules are helpful in exfoliating dead skin cells. A homemade sugar scrub will lighten and soften the skin.
- Mix sugar and olive oil to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the darkened area and rub in a circular motion.
- Wash it off using a mild soap and warm water.
- Repeat the process weekly.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is a gentle cleanser due to which it helps in the removal of dead skin and reduces pigmentation around knees and elbows. This is an effective method of treating dark skin.
- Mix baking soda and milk (1 tablespoon each) and create a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area and rub it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After rubbing, wash the area with lukewarm water and let it dry.
- Repeat the treatment on a daily basis.
- Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter
Cocoa butter and Shea butter are natural creams. So, they act as moisturizers which in turn makes the skin soft. This will help in skin lightening.
- Cocoa and Shea butter should be applied every night before sleeping on the darkened body parts.
- Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera helps in reducing the damage caused to the skin by the sun. Sun damage happens in overexposed areas, especially knees and elbows. Aloe Vera helps preventing dryness by moisturizing the skin, which is useful as dryness can lead to the darkening of skin as well.
- Take Aloe Vera. You can get it either from the plant itself or you can buy it.
- Apply the fresh gel on the darkened parts, i.e. knees and elbows and leave it for around half an hour. After some time, you will get a shining and fresh-looking skin.
- Use Sunscreen Lotions
The use of sunscreen while going out reduces the chance of skin darkening.
- Apply sunscreen on a daily basis, especially during the summer season.
- Moisturiser should also be applied after every shower on the knees and elbows.
- Lemon and Honey
Lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent and, honey provides moisture to the skin. This prevents the skin from darkening. This remedy should be repeated at least thrice a week for best results. Use natural products for a clear and glowing skin.
- Mix the juice taken from one lemon with one tablespoon of honey.
- Apply the mixture on the darkened area and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Turmeric, Honey, and Milk
Turmeric, honey, and milk respectively, have three distinguishing features which are very good for the skin. Turmeric, being an antiseptic, helps in the replenishing of cells. Honey acts as a moisturizer as well as an antiseptic. Milk acts as a bleach. All these properties help in getting rid of the darkness.
- Mix all the three ingredients; turmeric, milk, and honey, which will create a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the dark area and leave for about 20 minutes.
- After that, rub the area for 2 minutes and then wash it off.
- Pumice Stone
Pumice stone helps in the removal of dead cells when rubbed on the dark skin.
- Rub the dark skin with a pumice stone while bathing to exfoliate the dead skin cells.